Tax Season is around the corner and unfortunately, that means tax scams. The IRS has reported that 2020 saw a significant increase in email and phone attempts to steal individuals’ tax information. Fraudulent emails often contain malware as well. Please be wary of any solicitations that appear to come from the IRS and remember these facts:
• The IRS will always mail a bill before calling you about taxes owed.
• The IRS will never ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
• The IRS will never immediately threaten to arrest you for not paying taxes owed.
• The IRS will always offer the opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed before demanding your payment.
• The IRS does not use emails or text messages to discuss personal tax matters, such as taxes owed or tax refunds.